Beth Comstock is a change maker! She’s helping people and organizations to discover “what’s next”. She’s been a storyteller, marketer and vice chair of GE. Beth is a director at Nike and a trustee at the National Geographic Society. She’s the author of “Imagine it Forward” which talks about building creative courage.
Subscribe to Detail Therapy
This week on Detail Therapy with Amy Landino, Beth Comstock joined the show.
(0:44) What to expect from today’s interview
(1:17) Welcome! AmyTv
(2:04) Share your details with Amy | Survey
(3:17) Podcast iTunes review shoutout
SUBSCRIBE TO DETAIL THERAPY ON YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST PLAYER!
BETH COMSTOCK INTERVIEW
(5:54) Why do you navigate change?
“Navigating change doesn’t mean I like change.”
(6:53) Imagine It Forward
(7:32) Beth’s experience at CNN, CBS, MSNBC, NBC
(8:00) Imagination as a skill | We need creative problem solvers
(9:30) 75% of people who work in advanced markets feel that they’re not creatively fulfilled at work.
(10:02) What inspired you to want to be a reporter as a child?
“I am ambitious, I want to be 50 things when I grow up.”
(11:17) Internships & Diane Sawyer’s advice
(13:34) Go find stories
(14:18) Having genuine curiosity | If you’re curious it leads you to tell good stories.
(14:50) The importance ofBeth’s divorce story | A defining moment
(18:38) Pure raw confidence | I’m betting on me | CBS to NBC career move
(20:14) What is your biggest piece of advice for someone deciding between doing what they’re told to do versus what they know is right for them?
-Realistic goal setting and weighing internal and external input
List Pros & Cons
(22:53) An opportunity with Apple
(23:50) Job Crafting | Within every job you have there are things you want to do that you just need to add to your job description.
(27:43) Social Courage | Ted Turner PR | Shyness and introversion
(29:53) An assumption of extroversion | It takes a lot of energy to put yourself out there
(31:31) Courage before confidence
(33:33) Do you have a typical morning routine?
5 am wakeup | beauty | morning pages The Artist’s Way | breakfast | work
(34:28) Workout regimen | Yoga, Core, Walking
(35:00) Phone habits | Easily distracted by the phone
Calendar blocking | Make room for discovery
(36:58) Where do you get most of your news?
LinkedIn | Twitter | NYT | Daily Mail
(39:10) What have you seen in your time that may be better or worse for women from where you started to where you are today?
(41:47) What does it mean to you to go after the life that you want?
Follow Beth on social media:
(42.12) Detail Recap
• Decision making | listen to input. Know your goal and your strategy. Try a pros and cons list and resolve to make a decision the next day.
• Embrace job crafting. Think about the fact that you could be fancy, or you could do the work.
• Build social courage. In social situations, think about what you have done with your energy bank account to spend or save in order to be the best in social situations.
• Take chances! Remove “they’ll never go for that” from your vocabulary.
• How to Win Friends and Influence People is a great reminder of how human we are!
GET THE 7 ESSENTIAL DETAILS FOR GOING AFTER THE LIFE YOU WANT!
I will send you a free audio training if you do the following:
- Subscribe to this podcast on your favorite podcast player
- Screenshot that you’re subscribed
- Send the screenshot to email@example.com with “Audiogram please!” in the subject line
Once you email us, we will reply with your free training!
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO AMYTV ON YOUTUBE